Present Moment Distractions

To be present in the moment is to be with what’s occurring at this exact time. A distraction will arise when the mind becomes agitated because discipline was never developed to be in the moment.

Some say there isn’t a choice to be made as to whether there’s discipline that allows for peace, but I have found this not to be so. Yesterday I was at the doctors office, I was filling out paperwork, the place was packed with over twenty five people who were there before me. It was moving very slow as I was there for over an hour. As I was waiting I was just watching all the distractions my mind was creating to divert from the moment, “This is ridiculous, I’ll come back another day, let me check my phone, let’s see what’s happening on FB, call someone, blaming the Doctors office for being incompetent, it certainly seems the longer one waits, the more the Conditioned Mind nonsense commences, but this nonsense only takes hold if one is unaware of it.

This is where the developed practice of discipline comes into play with the possibility of putting it into place instead of giving in to the mind agitations and being annoyed. Discipline has to be developed to keep one is the present moment, that is unless one is totally unaware of the present moment. This goes for everything, whether it’s traffic or the line in a store that causes the mind to become agitated, it only grabs you if there isn’t awareness of it, so instead of being in the nonsense, I can still be at peace even though the mind wants things otherwise.

Now granted this agitation initially arises on its own, but this is where the awareness of it comes in. Once it arises only with the necessary awareness will one be able to truly be with the agitated moment, which can then be replace with the discipline that has been developed. I was watching most of the people being distracted so they didn’t have to be in the moment. Since in each moment we can only have one thought at a time, the level of discipline developed determines if your thoughts grab you, and that’s what determines if you are free or if you are a puppet on a string.

No comments:

Post a Comment