Developed Habits

As we grow up we develop in a way that the habits in place allow for the development to be as it is. Simply put, if our developed habits were based in love humanity would be much different…

As I look back, I see how many of the habits I developed were just a part of what was there growing up. Nothing particularly right or wrong in this, especially because there wasn’t much that I could have done differently. It’s very difficult to act in a loving manner if that’s not what’s in place growing up. Some things are learned naturally, but everything takes some habitual development associated with it. If you’re learning how to golf, at first it’s awkward with no knowledge as to the best way to do it, but the more you do it the more habitual it becomes. This is a good thing if what you’re learning is based in love, but part of the problem is when what becomes habit isn’t based in love because unfortunately it too becomes natural; this is why it’s so hard to change. I knew what was right (loving) and what was wrong (selfish) growing up, but doing what was loving was not what was developed so being selfish was natural to me and there wasn’t anybody who could tell me different because that’s all I knew.

To say the least, this selfish development caused much suffering because with this conditioning in place, there wasn’t any room for much else to be seen. This is the merry go round most people are unknowingly on and it’s a direct result of why humanity is the way it is. If we all grew up with our development based in loved, humanity would be much different, it’s that simple. I know this because nine years ago I began developing a different base (one of love) and lo and behold things began changing. It doesn’t mean it’s always this way, but just as it is with learning to catch a baseball, it takes practice, and in this case it’s done so the loving behavior becomes as natural as the earlier development of being selfish was…

No comments:

Post a Comment